Hillsboro Museums

Due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic tours are by appointment only.
Call (620) 947-3775 for an appointment

Cost of the tour
Admission $5.00
Students $3.00
Pre-school free
The Pioneer Adobe House and Schaeffler House
are separate admission fees.

Pioneer Adobe House
S. Memorial Dr. and West D St.

The Peter Paul Loewen family, Mennonite immigrants from Russia, built the Pioneer Adobe House in 1876 from air-dried adobe bricks. It was moved to town in 1958, and is furnished with articles used by early Mennonite settlers.

Friesen Dutch Windmill
Adobe House Complex

Jacob Friesen built the original gristmill in Gnadenau village in 1876, which was located several miles south of Hillsboro. Dr. Richard Wall built this replica in 1994 using original materials and construction methods.

Kreutziger School House
Adobe House Complex

The Kreutziger one-room school house started in 1886 and operated until 1960. When the waters of Marion Reservoir threatened to flood it, it was moved into town. It is furnished as an 1890’s-era school house.

Schaeffler House
Grand Ave. and Jefferson St.

The Schaeffler House is reflective of a prosperous Midwestern family in the early years of the century. This home of Lutheran immigrants from Germany was constructed in 1909.

X