Hillsboro’s Recycling Center is located in the 100 block of North Birch (under the small water tower, west of the The Lumberyard).
The gates of the Hillsboro Recycle Center will remain open 24/7. Attendants will help users remove recyclables from their vehicles from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays only. The Thursday evening time slot is no longer staffed. Hazardous waste (eg. batteries, CFLs, paint, solvents, and pesticides) is no longer accepted at the Hillsboro Recycle Center.
Refuse is collected once a week. A 90-gallon polycart is available on a rental basis for a fee of $1.50/month.
The city tree dump site is located one mile north of Ash Street for tree limbs only. A key for the city tree dump can be obtained at City Hall from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
1) The annual “Clean-up Week” is held in the spring. This week is set aside for residents of Hillsboro to dispose of extra trash/limbs at no charge. *There are a few exceptions. Appointments are not necessary; items will be collected on the same day as your trash is picked up (ONE-TIME ONLY).Please place items in the same location as your trash is collected by 8:00 a.m.
- Please have trash bagged, boxed or bundled.
- Branch & trash piles need to be separate. After Spring Clean-up Week, branches will no longer be collected.
- Concrete will not be picked up.
- Hazardous materials (paint, batteries, vehicle oil, etc) will not be picked up – please dispose of hazardous materials at the city’s recycling center (100 block of N. Birch) on Thursdays, 5-7 p.m. or Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. PLEASE ALSO USE THE RECYCLE CENTER FOR CARDBOARD, NEWSPAPERS, GLASS, PLASTICS & METALS. This will cut down on the amount of waste to the landfill.
- City tree dump will be open during Clean-up Week for tree branches.Please use Hillsboro’s compost site (N. Adams) for grass clippings, shrubs, leaves, dead flowers and corn stalks. LEAVES & GRASS CLIPPINGS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP.
- PLEASE DON’T OVERFILL TRASH BARRELS & POLYCARTS.KEEP IN MIND THAT MANY TIMES, ONLY ONE PERSON WILL BE DOING THE LIFTING.
- If you wish to have construction & demolition materials collected, call Stutzman Refuse Disposal a.k.a. Waste Connections, Inc. at 316-838-4920. You may also take the materials to the county transfer station in Marion (620-382-5655).
*Please pay in advance at City Hall for tire disposal (car/ pick-up truck tires - $2.50 & semi-truck tires - $6.00). There is not a charge for appliances, but please contact City Hall to schedule a pick-up.
Call City Hall with questions – 947-3162.